The Villa

History

Built in the 16th century, Villa Sola Cabiati is described as the “pearl” of Lake Como. The Dukes of Serbelloni transformed the residence into their summer abode in the 18th century, giving the villa its harmonious appearance, elegantly balancing the architecture, the lush Italian garden, and the all-encompassing tranquility of the lake. Is it any surprise that Giuseppe Parini, writer, exponent of the Enlightenment and tutor to Gian Galeazzo Serbelloni from 1754 to 1762, called the magnificent residence “La Quiete”?

A commentator at the time wrote: “Tremezzo counts many pleasant and magnificent villas, Villa Clerici, Villa Sommariva, the villas of the Brentani, Mainoni, and De Carli families, and yet la Quiete of the Serbelloni exceeds them all.”

The Serbelloni coat of arms still decks the villa façade while the motto engraved above the entrance, villulae quietem, the stillness of a small villa, evokes those days of total tranquility.

Following Luisa Serbelloni’s marriage to marquis Lodovico Busca, the property passed to the marquis’ family. The villa was finally inherited by the Sola Cabiati, a lineage of counts, connected to the Busca family when Antonietta Busca married Andrea Sola in 1871. The residence has belonged to the noble family ever since.