The hotel's origins date back to the early 1900's, the era of romantic grand tours, long voyages and illustrious travellers. Lake Como was already an obligatory stopover on the international tourist circuit and a favourite destination with the elite: rich and cultured foreign visitors from England, Germany, France and Austria, as well as Belgium and Switzerland, and even from Tsarist Russia. Enea Gandola was a gentleman from Bellagio who had travelled widely in Europe with his wife Maria Orsolini. After their return to Italy they wanted to create something of class and sophistication on one of the world's most beautiful lakes, a grand hotel that could satisfy the demands of this new type of tourist. The Gandolas chose this extraordinary location, bordering on the gardens of Villa Carlotta, which alone commands the best view on Lake Como. The Grand Hotel Tremezzo opened on 10 July 1910 with a party in its honour and great public celebrations.
The outbreak of the First World War changed the world and its geography. With the return of peace the hotel entered a new phase, in keeping with the changing times which brought the vacation as we know it, focused on leisure and relaxation. In the 'thirties the hotel was bought by the Sampietro family. It was during this period that the hotel became a target for cosmopolitan tourism… Greta Garbo refers to Tremezzo as that happy, sunny place in the film “Grand Hotel” (1932).
Through the terrible years of the Second World War the Hotel never closed its doors,
and when the war ended it was ready to welcome with its customary grace a new type of clientele: this time society had changed irredeemably too.
Today, following in the footsteps of the Gandolas and the Sampietros, another family is proudly carrying forward the Grand Hotel Tremezzo tradition, celebrating a century of charm and authentic Italian hospitality.
Meanwhile, Lake Como remains as popular as ever. The lakeside resort is back…